Sunday, August 14, 2005

Sheehan dodges taxes, blames Jews

It's official: Cindy Sheehan has gone off the deep end. She's made the jump from grieving mother and legitimate protester to criminal and conspiracy theorist:
"You get America out of Iraq and Israel out of Palestine and you'll stop the terrorism," Sheehan declares.
Yeah, unilateral surrender! That always works. By the way, I'm looking at my globe, and I don't see "Palestine" on it anywhere.
Sheehan, who is asking for a second meeting with President Bush, says defiantly: "My son was killed in 2004. I am not paying my taxes for 2004. You killed my son, George Bush, and I don't owe you a penny...you give my son back and I'll pay my taxes. Come after me (for back taxes) and we'll put this war on trial."
This is just appalling. A citizen has no right to refuse paying taxes because of a policy disagreement. I disagree with many facets of government policy: legalized abortion, terrible immigration control, farm subsidies, and all manner of other things. But I don't get to flout the law. I encourage the IRS to make an example of Cindy Sheehan. Someone needs to take a stand and declare that policy disagreements do not excuse people from performing their duties. Go ahead, try using Sheehan's philosophy and see how far that gets you. Disagree with one policy, then break an unrelated law. Toss back a bottle of scotch and weave through a school zone at 160 mph. Then tell the cop, "Come after me and we'll put this school-finance fiasco on trial." Yeah, that's just brilliant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

she's not breaking an unrelated law, she's refusing to support the government. (like thoreau, etc. all of those guys conservatives haven't read). she specifically chose not to pay her taxes, not drink and drive through a school zone, because that was the most obvious way of protesting a government she doesn't support.

Matt Bramanti said...

I've read Walden, anonymous.

True, Sheehan's illegal tax evasion means she's not paying for bombs and bullets. It also means she's not paying for post offices, highways, meat inspectors, Army hospitals, law enforcement agents, and all other manner of things we can all agree on.

She's receiving the benefits of citizenship without paying the price. In this regard, she's just another tax cheat.

Anonymous said...

nah, she's probably just a small-government conservative with the balls to actually back up her beliefs.