Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Durbin 'apologizes' for gulag remarks

Wire services are reporting that Sen. Dick Durbin has apologized for his remarks likening U.S. troops to Nazis and gulag guards. Judge for yourself whether he goes far enough:
Under fire from Republicans and some fellow Democrats, Sen. Dick Durbin apologized Tuesday for comparing American interrogators at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp to Nazis and other historically infamous figures. "Some may believe that my remarks crossed the line," the Illinois Democrat said. "To them I extend my heartfelt apologies."
During his apology, which Durbin delivered while looking directly into a TV camera broadcasting the proceedings, the senator said: ``I made reference to Nazis, to Soviets, and other repressive regimes. Mr. President, I've come to understand that's a very poor choice of words.'' He also reached out directly to Holocaust survivors, adding: "I'm sorry if anything that I said caused any offense or pain to those who have such bitter memories of the Holocaust, the greatest moral tragedy of our time. Nothing, nothing should ever be said to demean or diminish that moral tragedy.''
"If" it offended people? There's no if about it, Dick.

No comments: