Friday, March 18, 2005

A prayer for Terri

The Divine Office, also known as the Liturgy of the Hours, is the daily prayer of the Catholic Church. It consists of a rotating group of psalms, hymns and canticles to be said at certain hours of the day. One of today's readings is Psalm 35, which I prayed on Terri's behalf:

Oppose, LORD, those who oppose me; war upon those who make war upon me. Take up the shield and buckler; rise up in my defense. Brandish lance and battle-ax against my pursuers. Say to my heart, "I am your salvation." Let those who seek my life be put to shame and disgrace. Let those who plot evil against me be turned back and confounded. Make them like chaff before the wind, with the angel of the LORD driving them on. Make their way slippery and dark, with the angel of the LORD pursuing them. Without cause they set their snare for me; without cause they dug a pit for me. Let ruin overtake them unawares; let the snare they have set catch them; let them fall into the pit they have dug. Then I will rejoice in the LORD, exult in God's salvation. My very bones shall say, "O LORD, who is like you, Who rescue the afflicted from the powerful, the afflicted and needy from the despoiler?"
Amen.

No comments: