Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I'd call the mayor, but the bastards took my phone

I got robbed last night. I had some car trouble and was waiting for AAA to arrive when I was approached by three youths. The subsequent exchange went like this:
Punk: Let me see that phone. Me: No
Then the punk slugged me over the head with something hard, and I dropped like a sack of hammers. When I came to, I was missing my cell phone, PDA and wallet. The wallet was found this morning near a Dumpster at a nearby apartment complex.

So I spent a very fun morning on the phone with my bank, and at the Houston Police Department's Westside Command Station. The officers there were friendly and courteous, and very thorough in documenting my report.

It's a shame that good cops are hamstrung by an administration that cares more about jaywalking-ticket revenue than they do about the knot on my head.

UPDATE: On the off chance that the Boys in Blue ever catch these guys, it's nice to know they'll be stamping out license plates in Huntsville for a long while. Texas isn't very kind to robbers. Robbery is a second-degree felony, punishable by 2-20 years in prison and a fine of $10,000. Aggravated robbery is a first-degree felony, which will earn you 5 years to life, and a $10,000 fine.

2 comments:

Rob Booth said...

Dang dude. The missus and me just read this. Sorry to hear this.

Anonymous said...

Matt, that's why even my 80 year old mother packs a 9MM.

You should consider it as well ... you are very lucky to be alive.